Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Crispy Lemon Cloud Cookies



What a cute crispy cookie. I prefer chewy cookies but my mom likes crispy cookies. I over-nighted these to her and she devoured ALL of them that same afternoon!

This is my first "crispy" cookie. To those of you who are also newbies to making thin crisps here are a few of my experienced trial and errors:I used a whisk attachment to beat the eggs and sugar, this made the eggs pretty fluffy- and likely that may have had something to do with the chewier texture of the first batched I baked. But I baked the second batch a bit longer and that seemed to give them a crispier texture. So, next time I'll try the beater attachment. I got the recipe you see below from here but the original recipe comes from Gourmet magazine and can be found here. One baker suggests to pipe the batter onto the cookie sheet to achieve a more consistant, circular shaped cookie... I, however, like the imperfect cloud-like effect mine have :)

Crispy Lemon Cloud Cookies
Adapted from Gourmet magazine, April 1976

2 eggs

2/3 cup sugar

1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

2 teaspoons lemon zest * I used the zest of 3 large lemons - and added the juice of half a lemon to the egg mixture

6 tablespoons butter, softened *I used unsalted

2/3 cup flour

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or butter it. Beat eggs with sugar and extract(s) for 3 to 4 minutes until thick and lemon yellow. Add lemon zest. (and in my case, the juice of half a lemon)

In another bowl, beat butter until light and fluffy.

Add butter to egg mixture a little at a time, alternating with flour.

Drop the dough by teaspoons about 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheet. Flatten mounds with an offset spatula dipped in ice water. * My batter was sticking to the spoon even with the water. Just wipe it off and drop it on top of the rest you just spooned out.

Bake cookies at 400 degrees F for about 5 minutes *mine took nearly double this amount of time, but it truly depends on your oven- I'm working with a vintage, electric oven (aka the el cheepo oven provided with apartment :) or until the edges are browned. Allow the cookies to cool on the sheet for a minute, then remove them to a rack to cool fully. Place in an airtight container once they are completely cool.



No comments: