Sunday, August 29, 2010

Curry Chicken Burgers with Carrot Salad






Curry Chicken Burgers with Carrot Salad

Carrot Salad: 

3 tbs olive oil (I just omitted this)
1 1/2 tbs freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tsb Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp sugar
Salt & Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
3 cups peeled and grated carrots
1 tbs snipped fresh chives

Combine all ingredients and toss to evenly coat carrots. Cover and refrigerate until serving.


Burgers:

2 tbs olive oil
1/2 cup diced (1/4 inch) red onion
2 tsp curry powder 
1 lb ground chicken or turkey
1 small egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs
1/4 cup Granny Smith apple
1/4 cup mango chutney
2 green onions, including green tops, thinly sliced on the diagonal
Salt & Pepper, to taste

Heat the olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-low heat.  Ad the onion and cook, stirring frequently until the soft and lighly browned, about 10 minutes.  Decrease the heat to low, add the curry powder, and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute to mellow the flavors.  Transfer to a large bowl and set aside to cool.

Add the chicken, egg, bread crumbs, apple, chutney and green onions to the cooled onion mixture and season with salt and pepper.  Handling the meat as little as possible to avoid compacting it, mix well.  Divide the mixture into 4 equal portion and form the portions into patties to fit the buns.

Prepare a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill with a cover, or preheat a gas grill to medium-high.  

When the grill is ready, brush the grill rack with vegetable oil.  Place the patties on the rack, cover and cook, turning once, just until the juices run clear when the patties are pierced in the center, about 4 minutes on each side.  During the last few minute4s of cooking, place the buns, cut side down, on the outer edges of the rack to toast lightly.  

To assemble the burgers, spread mayonnaise to taste (Note: I use Light Miracle Whip in lieu of mayo for everything – it’s a little sweet and I like that a lot better), place patty and top with 2tbs of the salad.  Pass the remaining salad.


Review:  Not my favorite. I thought I'd like these because I love anything that involves curry and carrots are one of my favorite veggies but I was a little disappointed. I'm sure cooking them on a grill as opposed to a stove top would have made a big difference but even then I don't think I'll be repeating this recipe.  Although, the carrot salad was pretty good.  Oh well, I flagged about half the book with recipes I'd like to try. I still have high hopes for the rest of them. :)

No comments: