Wednesday, August 5, 2015

The best way to have a beer... (in my wine-preferred opinion)

Oh. My. Gosh.  If you are gluten free I am SO sorry. Really, I am. This might even be worth the tummy ache...

I read that beer bread is amazing.. but I just don't think words can describe...

Flavor: think savory, sweet, and just a tad bitter... I prefer wine over beer but you don't have to be a beer lover to be in love with this bread.

Texture: crunch on top, dense and moist inside

Looks like: a drop biscuit in loaf form. beautiful golden crust

Smells like: heaven. Even if you are gluten free, please make this bread just for the smell. You know how some people don't drink coffee but love the smell of it.. yeah, its kind of like that.

and.. on top of it all... its the easiest thing to make - ever. Easier than any other quick bread. Way easier than cookies, cake, pie.. you name it.

I got this recipe from Gimme some Oven. Since I'm not much of a beer drinker, what do I know about the type of beer to use in a bread like this? So I read a few hundred comments and decided to go with a Belgian wheat beer.

Honey Beer Bread:

  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 Tbsp. sugar
  • 1 Tbsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 2 Tbsp. honey or agave nectar
  • 1 bottle (12 ounces) beer
  • 4 Tbsp. (half stick) butter, melted (you can double this if you'd like, I didn't)

DIRECTIONS:


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x 5x 3-inch loaf pan.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Using a wooden spoon, stir the beer and honey into the dry ingredients until just mixed. (I recommend popping your honey in the microwave for a few seconds beforehand to make it easier to stir in!)
Pour half the melted butter into the loaf pan. Then spoon the batter into the pan, and pour the rest of the butter on top of the batter. (Use a pastry brush to spread it around if you'd like.)
Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, until top is golden brown and a toothpick/knife inserted in the middle comes out clean. Serve immediately.

No comments: