Thursday, September 17, 2009

Sneaky Snickerydoodles!


Oh. My. Gosh. Sticky, Gooey, Cakey, Chewy, not surprisingly my new favorite cookie!

Generally I'm not much of a cookie person. I love a good chocolate chip cookie, and white chocolate macadamia nut but I'd usually rather have cake or pie. Since Snickers is my favorite type of candy bar and my last batch of snickerdoodles were surprisingly good, when I saw this recipe it was only a matter of waiting for the butter to come to room temperature. Needless to say, I am now a cookie person! : )

The Cooking Photographer has a unique recipe she used for the cookie base (I might try her version next time- brown sugar sounds good) but I just stuck to the amazing recipe I used for my chewy snickerdoodles.


Tips:

1. I used the snickers fun sized bars and cut each into three equal parts. Smash them a bit before placing the pieces into the cookies. This will make it easier to fully cover them with the dough.

2. Using a tablespoon to measure out the bottom part of the cookie, I rolled the dough into a ball and using my thumb I created a well for the crushed Snickers slice. Then I took about a half tablespoon of dough and covered the top of the Snickers. After pressing the edges together I rolled it between my palms once more and tossed it in the cinnamon sugar mixture just as you would a regular snickerdoodle.

3. Try different types of candy bars! Yummm! (note: I tried marshmallows and they basically evaporated somewhere in the baking process. I was expecting a gooey marshmallow middle when I cut into the cookies. I got a hallowed out snickerdoodle.)


A note about oven temperatures:

GRRRR. I am learning that when you have a new oven it is smart to do a test batch of only a few cookies so that if the temperature or cooking time needs adjusting you haven't just ruined half your batter! The 350F worked perfectly in my last oven but it took 375F in my new one!! (This might have also been due to the fact I was using the dough I made the night before. It was still cold when I put it in the oven. I was more pleased with the results I had from using the freshly made dough at room temperature. The cold dough cookies turned out a bit more like puffs, and a little crunchier.)

No comments: