Thursday, September 10, 2009

Peanut Butter Banana Babies

Peanut Butter and Bananas go on a double date. Mini banana bread babies, what a happy ending :)

I only had 2 over-ripened bananas, and as luck has it every banana bread recipe calls for 3 of them! But I tested my luck with these little loaves and set them up on a double date with two tablespoons of peanut butter, and what a pair! I got this recipe from creative loafing (you can see it below)

Review: One person said it could have been a bit sweeter, but another.. and I quote: "Remind me to through myself at your feet next time I see you.. this bread is amazing!!"
Peanut Butter-Banana Bread
Adapted from this recipe for banana bread on Simply Recipes
(makes 1 large 4″x8″ loaf or 8 mini loaves) (This recipe only made 2 mini loaves for me! Maybe I used "medium sized loaf pans?? Mine were about 6 inches long 4 inches deep.)

3 ripe bananas, smashed (I used 2 large bananas equaling 1 cup mashed)
1/3 cup melted butter (I measured the butter to 1/3 cup first and then melted it in the microwave.)
3 tablespoons (+) softened peanut butter (nuke it in the microwave for 30 seconds)(I used the three tablespoons of regular, creamy peanut butter. I did not microwave it because the hot butter melted it enough. Also, if you read my review on my peanut butter coffee cake I leared that pb has a very strong flavor so I would not add more than the 3 recommended tbs)
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking soda
A pinch of salt (Kosher, if you have it)
1 1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, mix together the bananas, peanut butter, and melted butter by hand or with a hand mixer on low speed.
2. Mix in the sugars, egg, and vanilla. Sprinkle the baking soda, salt, and spices over the mixture, then mix to combine.
3. Fold in the flour in 3 parts by hand. Do not over mix.
4. Pour mixture into a buttered loaf pan. If using a 4″x8″ loaf pan, bake for about 1 hour. If using a mini loaf pan, bake for 25-30 minutes. (Mine took about 45 minutes) When a toothpick inserted comes out clean, it’s ready to go.
5. Allow to cool for a few minutes before removing and slicing. Serve with some butter and maybe your favorite jam too!





1 comment:

Ester said...

Hogy mik vannak, suti randi?

So creative! Despite I am not a PB fan, the rendez vous sounds very promising. I don't think they will need couples therapy, that leaves Nat without a job. However, I have an instant attraction to nuts... would that be a cardinal issue for the couple?