Thursday, September 10, 2009

Sugar and Spice but Not-so-Nice Buttermilk Muffins

High calorie-Low flavor-Muffin Mess!

Mimi's Cafe, I can understand you don't want to share any top secret recipes but this was not nice!

I LOVE Mimi's Cafe!! especially their outrageously delicious mega muffins! So, naturally when I stumbled upon the Buttermilk Spice Muffins recipe on their official website I bookmarked it immediately...It was my next go-to recipe when I had leftover buttermilk.

As an aside, I would like to know why do they sell buttermilk in such mass quantities??? 90% of recipes call for less than a half cup, very few for more than one cup and who needs buttermilk to make pancakes every morning? You can't exactly freeze the stuff, and most certainty can't substitute it for the skim milk you're currently pouring over your Cheerio's. (ps. never let any one fool you into taking a big swig of buttermilk, you may end up spitting it in their face! :P ) Its like Steve Martin said "The big shot at the bun company got together with the big shot at the hot dog company and decided to rip off the American public!" - if you have never seen Father of the Bride Part II rent it immediately! It's my all time favorite =D Those sneaky buttermilk bottlers!

Back to blaming Mimi's Cafe for flavorless buttermilk muffins. I knew 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon sounded like very little, but I have had many experiences where I thought I knew better than the recipe, only to be proven wrong in the end; so despite my hunch to add a lot more I trusted this recipe from one of my favorite restaurants and followed it exactly. I didn't think the 1 cup of sugar sounded like too little, but then again I have little experience baking with buttermilk...I knew the stuff had a strong flavor but I didn't expect it to require an unusual amount of sugar to balance it out. The muffin texture was decent, nothing great. It was not dense but was not a fluffy on the inside with "crispy" outside like a muffin should be.

Final verdict: Your high calorie, low flavor muffins not worth repeating. So, MiMi's...I'll leave the cookin' to you...

Just in case you were curious and felt like experimenting you can find the recipe HERE.

No comments: