Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Crumy Cannolis

The November 2009 Daring Bakers Challenge was chosen and hosted by Lisa Michele of Parsley, Sage, Desserts and Line Drives. She chose the Italian Pastry, Cannolo (Cannoli is plural), using the cookbooks Lidia’s Italian-American Kitchen by Lidia Matticchio Bastianich and The Sopranos Family Cookbook by Allen Rucker; recipes by Michelle Scicolone, as ingredient/direction guides. She added her own modifications/changes, so the recipe is not 100% verbatim from either book.



... long story short - I won't fry Cannoli again.. not my forte.


Step 1: Strain the ricotta with which you will make the filling.  - Okay, so far so good.


No cheese cloth? No problem. I used a paper towel wrapped around a spoon and used a bag clip to attach it to a pitcher. The cheese drained beautifully and made for a creamy filling.






Step 2: Prepare the Cannoli dough - Still in the safe.


 I did not have any Marsala wine so I substituted it using POM wonderful 100% pure pomegranate juice.




Step 3: Fry Cannoli - This is where it gets tricky.







.....Here goes nothing!













Yeah, that looks good! They're getting the notable little bubbles....





I wanted to make stacked cannoli - 
this way I wouldn't have to purchase cannoli tubes. 






So... tell me then how did my cannoli turn out to be one big bubble?!







 The dark color is from the pomegranate juice - which actually gave it an unexpected sweet flavor.






 It was something I would not have done by choice because I don't care much for fried foods. But I suppose that's what the challenge is about - gaining exposure to new things. Thanks for the challenge but I think I'll stick to baked goods.



((Sorry Theresa! - I will gladly make you a cheesecake any day :))

1 comment:

Theresa said...

Please do cannoli again!! It is my favorite dessert, next to cheesecake that is!!!

--Excited to see the rest of this post, I'm sure they turned out fabulous!